Monday, October 5, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 66/Do The Splits

In an effort to mix things up (muscle confusion rocks), I added a new exercise to the regimen this morning. Bulgarian split squats.

Check out this 50 second instructional video on how to do these.

The reasons I chose to slip these into the workout are:
  • Isolation. Any time you can work one limb at a time rather than two (think dumb bells instead of bar presses or bar curls) you are far better off. One part cannot lag the other using this method.
  • Convenient. Not much set up involved here. Ok, none. No excuses for not being able to perform this one.
  • Full Body Activation. While working one leg at a time, the remainder of your body must kick it in to keep you upright. Proper form ensures your core and shoulders will feel this one, too.
Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

This morning was my first attempt and it required some "on the fly" adjustments. It also took a few reps to figure out my optimal weight and feet position to keep my shin bone perpendicular to the floor.

WORKOUT - LEGS

All 3 supersets of the
Week 10, Day 3 workout were leg related.

Superset 1: Leg Extensions, Reverse DB Lunges
Superset 2: Standing Calf Raises, Dead Lifts

Superset 3: Donkey Calf Negatives, Bulgarian Split Squats


Total Time => 43:32


Comments:

Getting much better at the lunges...strong core and solid balance.

Dead lifts have become my favorite exercise. If I had to pick only one exercise to do for the remainder of my days, it would be dead lifts.

There was a learning curve involved with the Bulgarian split squats. Next week should go smoother.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN (PLUS 1)

This morning's post workout breakfast was rather quick and easy. I thawed out two of Polly's oaty cakes and put them into a warm oven before my workout. These got gobbled up with organic butter and Ohio maple syrup. For some protein, I heated up a grass fed beef sausage patty that was grilled up over the weekend.

There was a manager's special going on at the grocery this past weekend on Greek style yogurt. That, along with 1/3 scoop whey protein isolate, and 4 tsp of ground flax seed was my mid-morning snack today. Dang yummy!

For lunch I had wasabi salmon from Dr. Mark Hyman's book Ultra-Metabolism stuffed into a red bell pepper. Pepper season is about over here in Ohio so I'm trying to sneak them in wherever I can.

Mid-afternoon, I snacked on a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and raw almonds, cashews, Brazils, and walnuts.

Dinner was our usual grass fed beef meatloaf prepared by Chef Christina with steamed broccoli and green beans from the farmer's market. We added a bit of a twist tonight, though, and topped the meatloaf with a tahini sauce inspired by my blog buddy Heather. Thanks HEAB! It was a great addition.

Before bed, I slurped down 30 grams of whey protein isolate powder shook up with a 1/2 cup or so of water. The taste? Quite a bit like milk, actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment